You can trust us with your pet’s care.
We know that surgery can be stressful, and we’ll be here to make it a calm experience for your family.
Veterinary surgeons that you can trust.
We offer extensive surgical services at Kenai Veterinary Hospital, from spaying and neutering to fracture repair. Routine surgeries are done daily, Monday through Friday. Preanesthetic bloodwork is based on the age and risk assessment of the patient. Routine surgeries have IV catheters placed and appropriate fluids administered during the procedure. Anesthesia is induced with injectable anesthetics and maintained with gas anesthesia and oxygen. We have pulse oximetry, blood pressure, and ECG monitoring to ensure patient safety. Trained technicians assist the surgeon in monitoring the patient throughout the procedure. We utilize various pain control medications before, during, and after surgery to ensure that your pet is as comfortable as possible. We can also schedule a board-certified veterinary surgeon to handle complicated surgeries in our hospital, or we can refer them to Veterinary Specialists of Alaska to ensure that your pet has the very best care available.
Important Information for Your Pet’s Surgery
- Pick up your pet’s food at bedtime the evening before the surgery.
- Water is OK until the time of surgery in most cases.
- Drop-off time is between 7:45 AM and 8:00 AM on the morning of the surgery.
- Give your pet ample opportunity to use the bathroom before dropping them off for surgery.
- Routine surgeries go home the same day in the afternoon.
- Declaws spend the night and are released midmorning or later the following day.
- Sutures are placed under the skin in most routine surgeries and don’t require a return trip for suture removal.
- Most surgical procedures require that you restrict your pet’s activity for ten days following surgery.
- Twenty-four-hour notice or more is appreciated if you need to cancel
We're here for you.
Use the links below to explore our services or schedule an appointment. If you have any questions, please call us directly at 907-283-4148.